My Blog has moved!.... Блог переехал!...

Мой блог переехал на новый адрес:





My blog has relocated to the new address:



http://www.heyvalera.com/


































November 9, 2005

NYT: Rowdy Children in Coffee Shops

The New York Times today published an article, which tells a story of my new hero, Mr. McCauley - a guy, who owns a shop where he placed a reminder to the parents that their children must behave themselves. He was ostrasized by the (predominantly, female) parents of said children.

The usual breeder arguments were flown around - how dare he, who hath no offspring, teach them how to have it! how dare he imply they are not perfect parents!

Read the article to appreciate this little gem:

Mr. McCauley said he would rather go out of business than back down. He likens this one small step toward good manners to his personal effort to decrease pollution by hiring only people who live close enough to walk to work.

"I can't change the situation in Iraq, I can't change the situation in New Orleans," McCauley said. "But I can change this little corner of the world."


I am about to start reading a book by Theodore Dalrymple, contributor to The Spectator magazine, called "Culture, what's left of it", so expect more on the subject!

0 comments: