My Blog has moved!.... Блог переехал!...

Мой блог переехал на новый адрес:





My blog has relocated to the new address:



http://www.heyvalera.com/


































February 12, 2008

Just seen: Atonement

Click me to see a larger image

Finally, a worthy cinematic rendition of Ian McEwan's novels. For those who read his brooding inner state ruminations it would be very hard to imagine a faithful translation to the all audiovisual medium. Despite the somewhat predictable Hollywoodish grandeur and occasional sentimentalism, the story stays very very tight. Playing with the time allows the scriptwright create this wonderful sensation of omniscience of the viewer, while preserving the most intimate spaces we are allowed in our lives - our conversations with ourselves.
James McAvoy, who impressed me in the Last King of Scotland, gave here a mesmerizing performance - all dreamlike, making the agonizing British fear of awkwardness almost palpable, yet revealing a sturdy sense of self behind the facade.
Vanessa Redgrave's cameo appeareance alone is worth the price of admission.
A MUST SEE.

Now if only someone who could do a justice to A child in Time or to Comfort of Strangers.

P.S. There are plenty of shitty movies that I watch in between, I just don't feel like writing about them at all :) so do not get put off by most of the movies that show up here as being a MUST SEE :)

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I found your admission about watching shitty movies as well quite a consolation ;), because this is also what I do. I have little time for movies right now, so I greatly enjoy your reviews of the ones I haven't seen yet. Not to mention the fact that you are quite erudite, my dear.

    ReplyDelete