My Blog has moved!.... Блог переехал!...

Мой блог переехал на новый адрес:





My blog has relocated to the new address:



http://www.heyvalera.com/


































March 30, 2009

Listening to: Melody Gardot






Melody on CNN




"Baby I'm a fool" video
Sumptuous!

read more

From Wikipedia one learns:

Melody Gardot is an American jazz singer and musician in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Born in 1982, she was disabled at 19, after being struck by a car while riding her bicycle.[1] This event, though tragic, led to her recognition as a remarkable musician.
Her musical beginning was prompted by a tending physician who was concerned with her cognitive impairment as a result of head injury sustained in the accident. He believed music would help her brain injury drastically improve, as it has been known to show remarkable results in improving peoples' cognitive ability after such trauma. It helps by rebuilding the pathways within the brain which are necessary for recalling data (specifically in the areas of Memory, Calculating Data, Executive Functioning Skills, etc.).[citation needed]
Speaking from British Columbia, Katherine Wright of the Music Therapy Association explains, "Music enables a person to reminisce and reconnect with her sense of identity. Songwriting is an excellent tool to use when working on concentration and other cognitive issues."
Following her doctor's suggestion, Melody Gardot made recordings bedside, while still unable to walk, and eventually released the works as an EP titled Some Lessons - The Bedroom Sessions. Gardot's desire to be well, combined with a bit of luck, brought her to the attention of a local radio DJ at the AAA station WXPN, known for launching the careers of artists such as Amos Lee and Norah Jones. She quickly gained public esteem both for her stunning music as well as her remarkable courage despite her afflictions.
Philadelphia City Paper even gave her a nod in their 2005 annual people's choice awards saying "To Our Eyes, nobody is a more inspiring, more talented fighter than singer/songwriter phenom Melody Gardot. She turned the pain of a life-changing car accident into surprisingly mature and utterly enthralling music". The Paper was the first to publish an article on her.[2]
CD cover for Worrisome HeartHer first full-length album, a follow-up to the EP Some Lessons, is entitled Worrisome Heart. The album features 11 original songs [iTunes US version omits the track "Wicked Ride"] written by Melody Gardot and was co-produced by both Grammy-award-winning producer Glenn Barratt and Melody Gardot. Performers on the album include not only the trio that accompanies her live, but also an impressive cast of musicians such as guitarist Jef Lee Johnson (Billy Joel, George Duke, Aretha Franklin, David Sandborn), organist Joel Bryant (Aretha Franklin, Harry Connick Jr.), and trumpeter Matt Cappy (Jill Scott, Kirk Franklin).
There are many variables that make performing nearly impossible for the young songstress. Still in her early twenties, Melody Gardot carries a cane and must wear dark glasses. She often has a little black box tied to her waist; called a TENS unit, it is used to alleviate neuralgic pain/muscle pain. She sits on a specialized chair while performing, owing to pelvic fractures sustained in the accident. Her pelvis remains misaligned, and she also suffers from an autonomic nervous system dysfunction, causing hypersensitivity to noise and sound.




























Lyrics

How was I to know that this was always only just a little game to you?
All the time I felt you gave your heart I thought that I would do the same for you,
Tell the truth I think I should have seen it coming from a mile away,
When the words you say are,
“Baby I’m a fool who thinks it’s cool to fall in love”
If I gave a thought to fascination I would know it wasn’t right to care,
Logic doesn’t seem to mind that I am fascinated by the love affair,
Still my heart would benefit from a little tenderness from time to time, but never mind,
Cos Baby I’m a fool who thinks it’s cool to fall in love,
Baby I should hold on just a moment and be sure it’s not for vanity,
Look me in the eye and tell me love is never based upon insanity,
Even when my heart is beating hurry up the moment’s fleeting,
Kiss me now,
Don’t ask me how,
Cos Baby I’m a fool who thinks it’s cool to fall,
Baby I’m a fool who thinks it’s cool to fall,
And I would never tell if you became a fool and fell in Love.

0 comments: