My Blog has moved!.... Блог переехал!...

Мой блог переехал на новый адрес:





My blog has relocated to the new address:



http://www.heyvalera.com/


































May 29, 2006

Just Read: Never Let Me Go

Just finished reading a book by Kazuo Ishiguro "Never Let Me Go". I was reluctant to read a new book by somebody who was so uniformly praised, without reading his earlier work first. As with stock, prior results are never a guarantee of future performance. But in every Dublin bookstore that I visited, and I visited quite a few, there were always these slim paperbacks with people buying them right in front of me. The popularity of a book is usually another red flag for me, ever since the armies of fans of Da Vinci code and Harry Potter's adventures made book industry hungry for their next BIG thing.
I read the whole book in one sitting (albeit a long sitting - that's what transatlantic flights are so good for, one flight = one medium size novel). Though written in a voice of a 31 yo woman, and, therefore, a conscious attempt to replicate a specific intonation, style and mindset I was still impressed by the authorial mastery and assuredness of the delivery. Carefully crafted, brilliantly calculated revealing of the necessary information, a somewhat of a mystery plot - all that aside, the book still evoked in me a very profound empathy with its protagonists.
Amazing! Highly recommended.

0 comments: