My Blog has moved!.... Блог переехал!...

Мой блог переехал на новый адрес:





My blog has relocated to the new address:



http://www.heyvalera.com/


































February 15, 2008

Egypt: Sakkara









The pyramids here betray sudden rupture in technological advances. After the splendor and grandeur of the Kheops's Pyramid with its processed granite blocks, amazing stone cutting, sheer size and impossibility of the design with nothing else, nothing else! to match in the rest of their lives four thousand years ago. And then it was all gone. Replaced at first with the heaps of stones in feeble imitation (just like the pyramids on the pictures above), the decision was made to abandon building them altogether, and, instead, to go underground. Valley of the Kings and Valley of the Queens in Luxor is the next step in that direction.

1 comment:

  1. When one looks at the civilizations that perished after such incredible outbursts of splendor, one wonders about the stimuli that spurred those wonders and then nipped them in the (metaphorical) bud. There are various scientific theories about why civilizations flourish and then crumble, but none of them really goes beyond the down-to-earth facts, and I believe myself that there must be some supernatural element in it. Am I silly? I'm not the only one I suppose, look at all the art that was inspired by such silliness. Thank you for the wonderful trip to Egipt :) It's still one of my ufulfilled dreams!

    ReplyDelete